Your first job will give you the opportunity to meet new people outside of your school or study zone. The friends you make might be your friends for life. They’ll go on to do other things and you’ll often find yourself going on the ride with them. There’ll be lot’s of socialising, fun times and great memories.
The money you earn in your new job will give you independence from your parents, family or even the government. You’ll be able to start buying your own things, start saving and your quality of life will increase.
It’s fast paced and exciting
There’ll always be something to do in your new job and you may even be run off your feet at times. You’ll rarely have a chance to be bored.
Tip: If you do find yourself bored in your first job, perhaps it’s not the right one for you or you’ve already outgrown it.
Your first job will help build your confidence and you’ll start to feel great about yourself. Even if you’re unaware, you’ll be on the road to becoming an ‘expert’ in whatever field you’re working in. Your conversation skills will also develop – you'll have plenty to talk about at that next BBQ.
You’ll be pushed outside your comfort zone and achieve things you never knew you were capable of. The skills you learn you will have for life.
First job tips:
● Show that you’re keen – if you’ve got nothing to do at work, ask for something. Show your boss that you’re a self starter and more opportunities will be thrown your way.
● Be on time!
● Look the part – make sure your hair and face are presentable, iron your clothes and smell nice!
● Be fit for work – you might be having the time of your life, but it’s not a good idea to show up to work looking like you’ve just come from a party.
● Stay for a while – it won’t look good on your CV to only have worked somewhere for three weeks, in fact, it will look worse than having no experience at all. Stay at least six months to demonstrate you’re a reliable worker.
● Use it as a stepping a stone – you might just be flipping burgers to start with, but you’re part of a company that may take you places. Use it as a chance to develop.
Your first job is a milestone worth celebrating and enjoying. MAX Connect is here to guide you if you need us. Have fun.